I made this on the fly, with no pattern. For the skirt piece I used all the width I had and cut it to a length that seemed right. Unfortunately I can't remember my waistband measurements, but I think it was 3" thick and for width I cut it to her waist measurement.
Finally a quick hem and it was done.
The ShortsI used my tried and true Made Everyday pattern for these shorts, but as Nico is getting older, it's clear that this pattern is just too small for him (it's sized for a 4-year-old). So I lengthened the top of the leg pieces by two inches and hoped for the best. It actually turned out all right, but after this project I went on a hunt for patterns and found a couple of cute ones (online and at my local VV) so I'll be posting about those as soon as I give them a try.
I basically followed the same construction method as I did for my last two pairs, and I think they really turned out. I like that the pattern sort of matched up and the kitty face is visible both at the front and back. Though in hindsight, I should have cut the legs on the fold, and only had an inseam, to keep the pattern continuous on the leg. Oh well. It's tough with such a large pattern on such a small garment, but I'm happy with the result, and in truth, Nico gets WAY more wear out of his shorts than Louisa does out of her skirt.
But don't worry, I haven't forgotten about knitting... I've cast on a Camilla Kid for Louisa, and it is so charming and lovely, I can't even stand it. Will definitely have to make a mom version (and I think even a grandmother version if my mom has any say in the matter!!). So hopefully I'll be back with more on those projects soon...