Damask

Damask by Kitman Figueroa


Yarn: Red Sock Blue Sock BFL Sock (in Summer Berry)
Needles: 6mm Circular
Ravelry: Damask in Summer Berry
Ultimately I'm disappointed in this project - and it has nothing to do with the yarn or the pattern, as both are lovely. The shawl is just too small for my own personal preference. And it's too small because I tried to squeeze a full sized shawl out of one little skein of yarn.
I followed the pattern for "medium" in the recommended gauge. Looking back, I should have gone up a needle size or two to add inches to the final product without necessarily using more yarn, but even so I still would have run out of yarn in the end. This goes to show that I'm not a good stasher, and that I should just stick to buying yarn when I have a particular project in mind, rather than "stocking up" during sales, etc. When I dig through my stash of random yarn, things usually don't work out...
However, actually knitting this piece was great. It's by far the most complex lace pattern I have ever attempted, and I must admit that the results have impressed my family and friends.
Couple of things: There are no pictures of me wearing the shawl because a) I don't really wear it (it's too small for my personal preference) and b) winter is upon us and there are hardly any daylight hours in the day. But for size reference, it's just big enough for me to wrap around my neck like a kerchief (with the point in front and I wrap the ends around my neck once). I've actually used it as a cowl for my commute to work, and it's nice and warm, but it feels a little too fancy to use as part of my winter cycling kit, ya know??
Secondly, I ran out of yarn, as I knew I would, and my best option from my stash was leftover coral/orange yarn from these socks. It's not the best contrast, but I'm not keen enough on this project to go back and replace it. And so there is a tiny sunrise of orange at the centre of the shawl. There you go.
I think Louisa will end up wearing this more than me, if I can get her to tolerate a shawl... Or the yarn might get ripped out for socks after all...

Comments

Popular Posts