Nic's Birthday Socks

I completed these socks for my mom a long time ago (for her birthday in August, in fact) but I only got pictures of them on her feet today, so here they are!
Yarn: Berroco Ultra Alpaca Fine
Needles: 2.0 mm circular
Ravelry: Nic's Birthday Socks
This pattern comes from my go-to (aka ONLY) sock book: Socks from the Toe Up by Wendy Johnson. My mom's name starts with an N, and I thought the diagonal pattern, when repeated, looked like a bunch of N's! I also liked how both the pattern and the variegation of the yarn were subtle enough so that they complimented each other, rather than fight for focus.

The yarn is really lovely, and seems to be wearing well, given that my mom's had them for 6 months now and they're still holding up. I'd gladly knit up some more socks in Berroco. You'll also notice that the socks are staying up, so that's a relief!
also to note that the yarn colour is more orange and not as peachy in real life. The progress shots below are closer to the true colour:

I've got a few notes over on my ravelry page about the (minor) modifications I made to the pattern. One thing I'll note is that I knit these one at a time, and I managed to stress myself out trying to decipher my chicken scratch notes on those changes when I started the second sock! Ha, here's another reason why two-at-a-time socks are the way to go!!
Overall, another successful knit, and it's given me more confidence in my ability to knit things as gifts. It's always such a fine line between "Handmade" and "Homemade".

Comments