CineCittà - Cast On

Wow, I can't believe how long it's taken me to get to this point. I purchased this yarn at the end of October, specifically with this project in mind. And then I waited and waited.
I got MAJOR startitis with this one. Everything about it made me nervous. I doubted my choice of yarn, then my choice of pattern, and then my choice of needle size. Oy, I spent as much time second guessing myself as I probably will on the actual knitting.
The yarn: I'd never knit with a chain ply yarn before, and I didn't know what to do with such a distinctive texture.
The pattern: 12 page patterns are usually daunting, and this one also has a couple of links to tutorials added for good measure. I wasn't sure I'd be able to keep track of everything, despite people's reassurances that it has impeccable directions and is easy to follow. I must say that the German short rows made my head ache and it took me three tries to get it right.
The gauge: Because of the yarn's texture, I wasn't sure what to make of my swatches. On size 2 needles, I had a tighter knit and less transparency, which suited me, but I was so worried that with even 5 skeins I'd still run out of yarn. My gauge was almost double the pattern's gauge. But when I used size 4 needles, I was left with a hugely transparent fabric and I wasn't sure the lacework would even show well on such thin yarn with such big needles.
I contacted a knitter on Ravelry who had made a CineCittà with Shibui Linen, and asked about the properties of her shirt. After hearing from her, I finally decided to go with the size 4 needles, trusting that fabric would "fluff up" with a wash or two.
Now that I've cast on, finished the short rows for the neckline, and am almost finished the raglan increases, I'm super pleased with the whole project and can't wait to get to it whenever I have a spare minute. After not knitting for weeks, it feels really good to be excited about a project again!
Just an aside, this colour's name is "Pollen" and even though I bought it months ago, I'm only using it now, right after I finished reading The Bees by Laline Paull. I really enjoyed this book, and it's made me appreciate this warm golden colour all the more...

Comments