Akoya

Yarn: Fyberspates Scrumptious 4ply / sport superwash (colour 311 – Sugar Mouse)
Needles: 3.5mm dpns and circular
Ravelry: My Akoya
It is a solemn occasion for me to be posting my first ever totally completed sweater that I can actually wear. It has taken me a really long time to knit this cardigan, and I’m so happy to finally have it finished and blocked, and that it is ‘good enough’ to hang in my closet amongst my store-bought clothes.
I can already tell it will be a staple in my cold-weather wardrobe. It can go with office clothes, or jeans and t-shirts, and it looks good open or closed. I’m really excited to add this my closet, and it’s really inspired me to make more hand knits!!
I learned a LOT knitting this sweater. The pattern was really great, clear, and had lots of stitch counts so I never felt lost. Even attaching the arms to the body was no problem. The cables + lace pattern kept things interesting, and since the yarn was so lovely to work with, I didn’t mind knitting this thing for 6 months!
I did make a mistake on the buttonhole band, and after a short internal struggle, I decided to rip it out and do it over. It was a bit of a enlightening moment for me to overcome my desire to “just get it done” and to instead think about the finished garment. I wanted this sweater to be right, and so I took the time to do it right.
Since knitting a whole sweater while caring for two young babies seemed too daunting and impossible, I set up weekly goals for myself. I wasn’t aggressive in my timeline either, knowing that my babies would most likely make it difficult for me to knit more than a few rows at a time. And even though it took me weeks and weeks, I was making constant progress, and it helped my motivation a LOT!
I blocked this sweater since I needed a bit more length, but I was pretty timid about it (I’d read on the ravelry page that this yarn likes to GROW so I didn’t want to overdo it) but I think I’d like to block it again and try to make it just a bit longer, and to give the trellis lace a sharper finish. It’s nice and crisp at the bottom of the sweater, but it’s still a bit compacted along the front.
Finally, just as I was sewing up the buttons for my akoya, I read this tutorial from Lauren on how to add petersham to your buttonbands. It’s something I may do later on, since this sweater does have a negative ease and it might help it keep its structure.
A few more detail shots:
In the meantime, I’m just so happy to have it finished, and wearable. Though, now that we’ve officially entered Ottawa’s hot and humid season, I think I’ll have to wait till the fall to wear it for longer than just a photo shoot!!

Comments