Knitting Needle Case

I've been growing more and more frustrated with the state of my knitting stash. All of my knitting wears (needles, yarn, notions) are tossed into a big box in complete disarray. I scored a mega load of needles and yarn a couple of years ago, but since I have no way of organizing it all, I can't even keep track of what I have. 


So I made a knitting needle case. I used this tutorial from loulabelle. It is very easy to follow, has great pictures and detailed instructions, so go over there if you’re thinking of making one for yourself.
By the way, I find it completely ironic that my frustration with my knitting stash is what prompted me to sort through all of my SEWING gear! Haha, my sewing stuff is in a worse state than my knitting stuff!!
I sifted through my fabric pile, and came up with some complimentary fabrics.
This project took me about 2 1/2 hours to complete. Though I was simultaneously wrangling a busy 13-month old  – I’m sure that someone with basic sewing skills and without a “helper” could bang this out in 60-90min.
ugh, I guess the ironing board can go there…
I also added a couple of steps that made it a bit more time-consuming:
a)      I made my own bias tape. Thankfully this pattern doesn’t call for too much of it, so it was easy enough to cut 1” lengths of my paisley fabric and iron them down. Having complimentary bias tape (instead of contrasting) worked better  with such a busy collection of patterns.
b)      I wanted to conserve some of my paisley fabric, so I divided the inside panel to include the brown fabric on the bottom. Added bonus is that the brown fabric is sturdier than the paisley, so the portion of the panel that gets the most wear and tear (that’s where the needles will be slipped in and out of their holders) now has a fabric that can withstand the abuse.
So after prepping the bias tape and sewing the inside panel pieces together, I was ready to begin the tutorial!
Like I said, it came together easily since the instructions are so clear. I am so super pleased with how it turned out! I didn’t add a ribbon to the case, which may have been a mistake, but it would be no big thing to open up the topstitching along the side to add ribbon later on.
Although if I had a dedicated space for my knitting stuff (instead of tucked away in a drawer) then I would add big chunky grommets to the two top corners and hang it open on a wall.
But for now I’m just so pleased to be able to see at a glance which needles I already own.
Now I just have to figure out what to do with my huge pile of circular needles:
Eek.

Comments

Popular Posts