Doily Style Dishcloth

It had been a while since I’d picked up the needles, and I was itching to get at them, if only to prove to myself that I hadn’t forgotten how to knit.
I wanted a project that straddled the fence between being too easy and boring (scarf) and too labour-intensive and confusing (sweater).  Mainly, I wanted a project that could be done in a few hours, and that could boost my knitting confidence.
I found this:
The pattern came from one of those “knit a project every day” calendars that my mom gave me one Christmas. I kept a bunch of patterns that seemed interesting, and this doily style dishcloth really caught my eye.  The pattern was very easy to follow, and can be found (for free!!) at www.sugarncream.com .
Here’s the dishcloth, just starting out:
The pattern requires you to do a WHOLE BUNCH of YO’s (Yarn Over).
This was pretty much knit entirely while listening to the hockey game on TV – I’m not good enough yet to knit without looking at my work… One day. Sigh.
The whole thing took me about 3-4 hours (I wasn’t keeping track). I was very pleased with the finished product.
I don’t know about you, but I’m always amazed at the women and men who create these patterns. I mean, how do they figure out that a series of stitches is going to make something look like THAT??? They are mathmagicians, for sure!
The yarn I used came from a thrifted sweater I bought YEARS ago, specifically to use the yarn to make some felted slippers. Once I brought it home and frogged it, it made huge balls of yarn, which was great, but I was such a newbie at knitting that I didn’t realize that the yarn was COTTON and therefore wouldn’t felt! What a rookie mistake!!
Anyway, the cotton works fine for a dishcloth, and this project definitely whetted my appetite for knitting… I might just tackle that sweater after all!!!

Comments