Spring Apron

I really wanted to spend some time with the sewing machine this weekend, but whenever I would think of that darn blouse, I’d get all depressed about it and not even want to go near the sewing room. (side note: it has sleeves now, but no cuffs… sigh.)
So I thought I’d switch gears and start something that was WAY more manageable to get my sewing confidence back up.I pulled out this fabric from my stash.

I just realized this is a photo of the wrong side of the fabric. Oops!!
I had bought it from the discount bin at Fabricland; the discount bin usually has all kinds of scraps and end-of-roll pieces at half price. When I had seen the fabric, I had thought it would make a great skirt, but when I brought it home, I realized just how long and narrow it was. No way would it be wide enough to make a skirt. But maybe I could squeeze an apron out of it…
I had made this apron with Butterick Pattern 6567 a long time ago for a craft swap, and had been really pleased with the results. So I thought I’d give it another try, this time with a spring feel.
The kitty came right over and “helped” with the instructions:

Hi Enzo!!!

Here are all the cut pieces (I used the same fabric as last time for the ruffle. I really liked how it draped, and it goes well with the black/white/yellow fabric.):

Enzo finally relinquished the directions, and I got to work (I made pattern number D):
The pockets are by far the cutest part!! I love them! From the leftover bits of the fabric, I was able to salvage two identical flowers, and used them for the pockets:

That ruffle is SO CUTE!
Here is the finished apron:

My idea was to have more of a gradation up to the plain white portion, but the apron pattern wasn’t long enough. As a result, the white waistband is a little stark by comparison, but I love the way the crisp white ties look in the back:
All and all, I’m very happy with the apron, and it felt great sewing something from start to finish in the same day!!
If anyone is looking to get into sewing, I would highly recommend this pattern. It is VERY easy to understand, simple, without too many pieces, but still challenging enough to keep you interested. Plus, it teaches you how to do gathers, basting, and topstitching. And if you start it in the afternoon, you’ll be done in time to wear it to make dinner that evening! 

Comments