I cut out the pieces using household items such as a ruler, a dessert plate, and my trusty “arch maker” that I bought for drafting class in first year university and that I’ve used less than 10 times since, I’m sure!
Here it is half assembled. The pieces were too small (next time I’ll increase everything by a good 1.5″) but as this is just a prototype, I’m not too concerned.
I think what I like best about this hat is the emphasis on topstitching. I’ve never really topstitched in a big way before in any of my sewing projects, but after making this hat, I think I’ll definitely include it more often. Topstitching makes your seams look nice and crisp, and while it may be sort of a “sporty” look, I think it makes the garment more professional looking. I’m also thinking that, since all the seams are topstiched, when I make this hat again, I could go for a plain fabric and use contrast thread to give it some flair.